Wednesday 12 March 2008

Only in Israel...

I stopped smoking a a couple of years ago - not because I particularly wanted to, but it seemed the sensible thing for me to do at the time, and because the (much) better half had kicked a decade and a half habit and it really wasn't going to do to continue smoking around her...

Even so, I have a sneaky admiration for those hardy souls who have ignored public approbation and still light up - so long as they don't start suing tobacco companies later on. There is such a thing as free choice, after all...

Tel Aviv is becoming more militantly anti-smoking nowadays, which is fair enough, I guess - no point in being subjected to another persons smoke unless you actually indicate that you don't mind. That said, the no smoke evangelists have started to get on my nerves a little, doing everything but tarring and feathering recalcitrant smokers. The phrase 'get a life' comes to mind, for some reason, along with 'common courtesy' - as in, if you ask someone politely to put out his or her fag, most times they comply. There's no need to make a song and dance about it.

Then I came across this

If you don't like Joe Jackson, scroll down to the penultimate paragraph.

Mind you, I can easily believe it. I went for a run yesterday morning. As usual, there were a few early birds out on their power walks.

And a young woman, swinging her arms and pumping her legs and grimacing with the strain...with a fag in her mouth and another behind one ear.

You've got to admire her intransigence.

See ya!

oh, if you happen to have spare (free) tickets for Mr Jackson at the Zappa, or would like to pay me to write a review, you know my address ;-) hahahahaha

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As an avid aficinado, I readily attest to the joys of taking that long fisrt drag after a hard work out. It kind of re-affirms ones raison d'être, you know, the suffering and then the pleasure. I can't say that I've actually smoked during exercise, but I guess there's a first time for everything!
And I'm quite certain that all earthquakes are caused in direct proportion to the number of hamburgers consumed in the mid west of the good ole US of A.